F is for... Frances Bean Cobain

Have had a bit of a relapse from blogging this week. Not because I have been busy, but because I wasn't really sure what I wanted from my next post. You see, I've been doing a bit of research into photography, as I am thinking about getting a good camera for my birthday, and so, have been seeking inspiration from one of my favourite photographers, Hedi Slimane. I'm also slowly emersing myself into the world of Instagram and Pinterest, so have been seeking material for both of those as well (anyone else involved in those?! They're both slow starters for me...).


Anyway, after taking an extensive look this weekend at Hedi Slimane's Rock Diary (more to follow), what should happen? Whitney Houston dies.

Now, you're probably wondering how on earth these two incidences are related, and the short answer is that they're not. At all. Other than as interest points to me. Because, well, I'm kind of sick of hearing about the same celebrity deaths- I was just left thinking (tweeting and Facebooking) "Same story, different celebrity". And then I kind of wanted to do a post on celebrity drug abuse, the way the media build people up to let their lifestyles tear them down, the leniance of the law surrounding celebrity drug use, and the subsequent effects on the impressionable youth of today. But then, celebrity culture's never really been my thing, and I am sick of seeing pictures of {insert any young celebrity here} with coke up one nostril and a crack pipe in one hand.

So I returned to the solace of Slimane's Rock Diary, only to find a piece of positive inspiration amongst all my feelings of frustrated angst. Frances Bean Cobain.

Ok yes, she is the love child of Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love, which may lead one to wonder what her chances of survival are. However, she's not your average Peaches Geldof, or Paris Hilton- because, although her father will go down in the history of rock, and her mother will go down... well... you can finish that one- you would be forgiven for thinking Frances is actually fame-shy. She hasn't seemed at all interested in riding on the back of her celebrity upbringing even in the slightest.

Anyway, Hedi Slimane has done some really beautiful shots of her, which I will now show you. She's far removed from the awkward teen in previous pictures I have seen of her- and although she's the absolute image of both her parents, her striking dark hair sets her completely aside from their 90's Heroin Chic style:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Frances is my positive inspiration, as she is living against the odds, a rather 'normal' lifestyle (for an artist, surrounded by crack addictions, with a boyfriend who looks the spitting image of her father). With Drew Barrymore- actress and well known substance abuser- as her God Mother, along with her parents' influences, it all looked a little hopeless for Frances. However, she seems to have taken it upon herself to break the mould; completely in the face of adversity. And I for one, think that's pretty cool.

Alright, yes, the shots are quie edgy (probably why I like them so much), but it is Slimane's Rock Diary after all, not his Fashion Diary. For those of you who don't know Slimane, he was originally known as a celebrated designer- amongst other work, he styled bands such as The Libertines, Franz Ferdinand and The Kills and artists such as Mick Jagger, Beck and Jack White for stage. He then began his life as a photographer and has produced some UNBELIEVABLE shots. Couldn't resist showing you a few more Rock Diary ones:

Crowds:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Winehouse- I really like the way he's shot this one out of focus to connote her substance abuse:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Courtney Love:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Tribute to Kurt Cobain- pieces of memorabilia:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


If you get the chance, visit his website and do some research on him- I can't do him justice here and I'm pretty sure you've stopped reading by now to stare at FBC herself.

I can't predict the future, but fingers crossed Frances might have a better chance than most celeb kids by keeping out of the spotlight.

She's so beautiful!

L.